I’ve been making these spiced biscuits for as long as I can remember. In recent years they’ve become synonymous with Christmas, with their subtle taste of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice they make perfect Christmas presents. Year after year they go down a treat and I wasn’t going to let my first vegan Christmas be any different. So I got to work on veganising my old recipe and just as I’d hoped, you can’t even tell the difference. Another cruelty-free Christmas recipe : )
On a slightly less Christmassy note I wanted to let you know about the work happening on my flat. I have been covered in scaffolding and a veil of blue netting whilst my building gets its single-glazed windows replaced. This has already started causing me troubles, affecting the lighting for these photos so please forgive the bluey tint to some of my photos from now on : (
Spiced Christmas Biscuits
250g Plain flour
125g Vegan margarine
125g Soft brown sugar
1 tbsp Ground flax seeds
3 tbsp Water
1 tbsp Mixed spice
A pinch of salt
1. Start of by grinding your flax seeds in a blender or using a pestle and mortar. Whisk up the ground flax with the water using a fork. Set aside and this should form a nice egg-like consistency by the time you’re ready to add it to the mixture.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
3. Beat in the flax mix a bit at a time, then add the flour, spice and salt, and mix together until you get quite a stiff, firm ball.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the mixture to about 1/2 cm and cut out the biscuits with your preferred Christmassy biscuit cutter. I used a mixture of Christmas trees and circles. I then gently imprinted the Christmas tree cutter onto the circular biscuits.
5. Place the biscuits onto a greased tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
6. Place the biscuits on a wire rack to cool.
If you are giving them away as presents, hopefully you’ll have some old jars or tins lying around that you can put them into. I used old coffee jars, filled them with biscuits and tied them up with a pretty bow.
These Spiced Christmas Biscuits are delicious and best of all, quick and easy to make. Hand them out as gifts, hang them on your tree as edible Christmas decorations or just make them for yourself for cosy nights in with a cup of tea.