I’ve definitely become a breakfast convert. Don’t get me wrong, I never skipped it, I can’t miss meals….I mean, food, hello!! I just wasn’t ever that adventurous. Back in the day, I used to just eat very sugary cereal or a couple of slices of toast and jam. Pretty standard, pretty dull. Don’t get me wrong, I sometimes do just eat toast and jam, and have a pretty standard weekday breakfast of porridge, dang good porridge, but at the weekend I try to create a delicious more complex breakfast, after all it’s the most important meal of the day, right?
I used to really enjoy eggs for breakfast, so if you’re new to veganism or looking for alternative and are missing that eggy texture to go with your breakfast then you really need to try tofu scramble. Tofu is pretty bland on it’s own but once you’ve added some spices you’ve got yourself a flavoursome dish.
Tofu scramble with cavolo nero
1 block of firm tofu
4 stalks of cavolo nero
1 tbps coconut oil
1 small onion
1 tspn turmeric
1/2 tspn cumin
A pinch of ground coriander
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
- Empty the tofu out of the pack and drain any liquid. Pop the tofu block on a plate, and place another plate and a heavy object on top of it and leave for half an hour to drain any excess liquid.
- Melt the coconut oil on a medium heat in a frying pan.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the frying pan, fry for five minutes until softened.
- Add the tofu and using a wooden spoon gently break it up.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli flakes and stir into the tofu.
- De-stalk the cavolo nero and finely chop, add to the tofu.
- Leave to cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.