We are just entering Rhubarb season – everyone shout hooray! Last year I bought my first rhubarb plant and it is working its magic in a little spot on my allotment! I can’t wait to eat some from it. I am a big fan of Rhubarb and it is the plant that keeps on giving, growing back year after year, with its bright pink stalks providing some sharp fruitiness.
We also have a little Rhubarb plant in our garden and it has spent a year reviving itself after we had to move it away from the Chickens! Look at the beautiful colour of these stalks!
Recipe: Rhubarb Crumble
5 stalks of Rhubarb
2 tbsp xylitol sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp water
For the topping:
1 cup of oats
1 cup of spelt flour
2 tbsp of xylitol sugar
1 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp vegan margarine
A few drops of water
1. Chop up the rhubarb, and simmer in a pan with the water, xylitol sugar and ginger for 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, blend your oats, flour, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds in a blender (or by hand), add the margarine and a few drops of water.
3. Once the rhubarb has cooled slightly add to a dish, and top with your crumble topping.
4. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180C.
5. Serve with dairy free ice cream or custard.
Enjoy Rhubarb season!