A couple of years ago my boyfriend and I went on holiday travelling around Italy for a couple of weeks – it was pretty awesome. We went to Rome, Naples, Sorrento and then took a night ferry over to Sicily. I ate A LOT of pizza and serious amounts of tomato pasta, there wasn’t too many vegan options, but it didn’t matter because pizza and pasta are fine by me! When we got to Sicily, their speciality took a seriously good turn – Pasta alla Trapanese. It’s basically tomato almond pesto and tastes so good.
Occasionally I buy the expensive pasta in the supermarket, because it reminds me of that holiday.
Pasta alla Trapanese [vegan]
250g cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Handful of basil
- Blanche the almonds in boiling water for a few minutes. Cool and peel as much of the skin off as you can.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, blitz the almonds, along with the garlic. Add the cherry tomatoes and blitz together for a few seconds, you don’t want it to go to watery. Stir through the olive oil and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water and add the tomato almond pesto and make sure the pasta is coated.
- Serve with the basil leaves.