If all this changeable Autumnal weather is just too much for your skin then you might be heading to the shop to pick up a face mask to soothe your stressed skin. Well, stop right there!
Shop-bought face masks are mostly full of nasty chemicals, preservatives and fragrances but I’m sure this isn’t shock horror news to you. Most of us know this but we just keep buying them. Maybe it’s the adverts promising us air-brush, “perfect”, pore-free skin or maybe it’s the convenience but whatever the reason it’s time to break with our old habits and create some new ones!
It is super dooper easy to make your very own face mask from simple ingredients. Not only are they free from nasty additives making them better for your skin, they are free from packaging!
This oat and calendula face mask is perfect for soothing weather stressed skin. Calendula is well known for it’s skin calming and soothing properties and it’s also anti-microbial. Oats are a great, gentle exfoliant and contain a host of skin nourishing nutrients like vitamin E and selenium.
I’m sure nearly all of you have oats in your cupboard but calendula is also fairly easy to find. Known commonly as marigold you may even have it growing in your garden. If not you should be able to find the dried flowers at a good health food shop.
Oat & Calendula Face Mask
3tsp Dried calendula flowers
- Place the dried flowers in a small bowl or cup and pour over 50ml of freshly boiled water and set aside to cool.
- Grind the oats to a fine powder in a food processor or a pestle and mortar.
- Strain the cooled, calendula infused water through a sieve into a bowl. Slowly add the oats a bit at a time, stirring until you achieve a good consistency. Not too thick but not too watery.
- Smooth over freshly cleansed skin with your fingers, avoiding the delicate eye area.
- Leave for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse off with warm water and finish using a warm flannel.
So when your skin is next in need of some deep cleansing nourishment, don’t head to the shops, open up your kitchen cupboards and make your own!
P.S This face mask won’t just nourish your skin, it may also make you look 10 years younger. After using the mask I went out to meet friends and got asked for my I.D. Now that’s not happened to me for a while… True story! : )