I love artichokes. Artichoke Globes that is, not those pesky Jerusalem ones, they’re gross and they make you pass a serious amount of gas…true story! I’ve never actually cooked the Globe ones from scratch before, I have just bought them covered in oil in a jar. Don’t get me wrong, jar ones absolutely have their place, but now Globe Artichokes are in season I came across them at my local market, they looked so pretty and were so cheap, I just had to grab myself a load and figured I would figure it out! Turns out they’re not too difficult to prepare, fiddly sure, but not so hard. I also grabbed a bunch of Asparagus because hello Asparagus is in season too…man Spring is the best!
This would make a great side dish, perhaps to a risotto or a pie of some sort, your side veggies definitely don’t just have to be boiled!
Artichoke Hearts and Asparagus
5-6 baby globe artichokes (or regular sized ones)
Bunch of asparagus
Juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves
- Rinse the artichokes in cold water.
- Peel off the outer leaves until you reach the paler leaves. Trim the tops and the stem.
- Slice them into quarters, and then place them in a bowl of cold water with 1/2 of the lemon juice, whilst you prepare the rest of them. If you’re using regular sized artichokes you need to make sure you scoop out the furry middle, you don’t need to worry about this with the baby ones, they’re just babies.
- Steam the artichokes using the lemon water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the asparagus by snapping off the lower part of the stalk and discard.
- In a baking tray, place the asparagus along with the steamed artichokes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, the remaining lemon juice and the garlic cloves, I threw in the juiced lemon too.
- Place under the grill for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.