It’s nearly Christmas!!!! Woohoo! I’m mainly excited about the time off work – not having a routine, going for dog walks and watching loads of films. I know my motto most Christmasses has been to eat, drink and be merry, but that does nothing for my tummy and I end up in agony and feeling pretty unmerry. I’m running the London marathon again next year so I’ll be starting my training over the festive period, which will mean I won’t just be feasting in front of the telly.
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve started a 5k to Couch training programme at my work, in the hope of raising a bit of money to go towards my fundraising target and to help get people moving. After all, anyone can run you just need to start and it’s always a bit more fun in a group! I think it will definitely get a bit more popular in the new year, but there is no reason to put it off until then especially when you’re loafing around the house over Christmas. These tasty gingerbread granola bars are perfect to fuel your runs, and I’ll be eating them at work to fuel my 5k to couch sessions.
Gingerbread Granola Bars
100g Rolled oats
20g Pumpkin seeds
20g Sunflower seeds
2 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground cloves
1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
150g Almond butter
1 tbsp Ground flax seeds
2 tbsp Coconut oil
2 tbsp Maple syrup
- Whilst the ground flax seeds and water together in a cup and set aside.
- Roughly chop the almonds and mix together with the rest of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Gently heat the almond butter, maple syrup and coconut oil together in a saucepan on a low heat until well combined.
- Remover from the heat and stir in the flax seed mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together well.
- Spoon the mixture out onto a lined baking tray and press down firmly.
- Bake for 20 mins in a pre-heated oven at 180C.
- Remove from the oven, cut into bars whilst still warm and leave in the tray to cool.
Enjoy a fabulous Christmas!