Summer has to be my favourite time of the year. I mean I’m a big fan of all the seasons really, but there is something about these long light evenings, walking around with bare feet and there being no need to worry about how many layers you need to wear to stay warm….just what to wear when it pours with rain (ah British summers!) I’ve been on the road this week with work and eating away from home as a vegan, and as sugar free as possible is hard! I couldn’t wait to get home for some home cooking and some naturally sweet treats that keep my tummy feeling good.
I’ve been taking some of these and this to work but wanted to come up with something slightly different. We are currently in the midst of courgette season, if you are experiencing a courgette glut (the courgette plant – a plant that keeps on giving) then you will no doubt become a little tiresome of thinking up different ways to cook them!
So a naturally sweet treat that uses up some of those courgettes and it is super easy too……
Spelt Courgette Loaf
350g grated courgette
2 tbsp flax seed egg(add 3 tbsp of water)
80g chopped dates
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tspn vanilla extract
300g spelt flour
2 tspn cinnamon
1 tspn ground ginger
1/2 tspn mixed spice
1 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn bicarbonate powder
80g chopped walnuts
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2) Mash the banana and in a large bowl add the flax seed egg, dates, vanilla extract, courgette and coconut oil and mix together to form a big slop.
3) In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients, flour, spices, bicarb and baking powder, walnuts and sultanas, when mixed together add to the wet ingredients.
4) Throughly mix together.
5) Line a loaf tin or grease lightly with oil. Spoon the mixture in a spread evenly.
6) Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
This cake taste lovely when it is still warm or pop it in some tupperware and it will make a perfect eleven o’clock snack at work!
Enjoy cake time!