Apologies for my long time absence on here. I am still alive, but I’ve not been too well and as a result I’m probably not going to be as regular updating this little space as I’d like to be.
A couple of week’s ago, I was invited along to attend the Compassionate Kitchen Crew’s cookery class and what a great evening it was! The Compassionate Kitchen Crew are made up of Becky and Sarah, two beautiful ladies who are doing a great job of making plant-based cooking accessible to those who are either looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into their lives or who are thinking of making the transition to a fully vegan lifestyle.
As I drove up the road, I was on the look out for a village hall, but Sarah hosts the class in her beautiful home in Farnham Common, Buckinghamshire. With her family around her, and gorgeous spaniel, you’re soon made to feel very at welcome gathered around their kitchen island. Becky does a great job taking you through the process of cooking a couple of dishes, based around one ingredient. The class I went to focused on cashew nuts, and we were treated to a delicious Creamy Mushroom Carbonara (see recipe below) made with a cashew creamy sauce, and a beautiful Blueberry Cheesecake. Ingredients that might be a bit unusual are explained, and questions are totally encouraged! Class sizes are limited to six, so there is no hiding at the back, and you’ll come away having had a lovely evening, having spent it with some wonderful people, having eaten some delicious food – and got some new recipes up your sleeves to try out in your own kitchen! And a total winner was we were given an extra slice of cheesecake to take home!
If plant-based eating is all a bit new to you then this is perfect for you! Make sure you book early because classes get full quickly. October classes are looking at Chickpeas, November – Tofu and December – Cranberries. And I’m sure there will be plans for classes in 2018!
Here’s the recipe for the delicious mushroom carbonara.
Creamy Mushroom Carbonara
1/3 cup tamari
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tspn liquid smoke
4 large flat mushrooms (sliced)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 cup cashews (soaked)
1 cup plant milk
1 cup silken tofu
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup of frozen peas
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and coat the sliced mushrooms
- Tip bowl contents into a wok and fry (no need for oil)
- Take out and set aside for later
- Blend soaked cashews, milk, tofu and nutritional yeast in a food processor
- Heat the oil in the wok and add the crushed garlic, fry gently so as not to burn the garlic
- Add the creamy mixture and stir in with the garlic oil
- Add the cooked pasta and stir in well in coat the pasta in the sauce
- Add in the peas and mushrooms and stir for 3-4 minutes until peas are cooked through
- Serve with rocket leaves and grated vegan parmesan.