It’s so nearly almost kind of Spring that it’s just mean! Tuesday was insanely warm and sunny, it was the kind of early Spring day that makes you remember how awesome warm weather and sunshine is! Remember those days of leaving the house without a coat and wearing sunglasses!
So whilst we await the full bloom and warmth of Spring, here’s a yummy, sunny citrus carrot loaf to keep us going. Good old carrots are always in season and you really can’t beat a good carrot cake! There’s plenty of delicious citrus fruits to be found at the markets from sunny Spain and when combined with carrot cake, add a delicious zesty note. Be sure to hunt out organic oranges and lemons otherwise you’ll be zesting in nasty wax likely to be made from shellac, yuk!
Citrus Carrot Loaf
1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water
125g ground almonds
100g spelt flour
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
40g coconut sugar
2 medium carrots, grated (approx. 110g)
60ml coconut oil, melted
Zest of 1 organic orange
Zest of 1/2 an unwaxed organic lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease a loaf tin with coconut oil.
- Whisk the ground flax and water together in a cup and set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Place the grated carrot in a separate small bowl, add the melted coconut oil and the flax mixture which should have formed a gelatinous consistency. Mix together and add into the dry ingredients, stirring together until just combined.
- Pour into the loaf tin and top with a few thin slices of lemon and orange.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a skewer or knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Enjoy! Amy x