It’s been so cold here lately that all I’ve been eating is soups and stews. It’s the kind of weather where even two pairs of gloves won’t keep your hands warm and your skin is constantly dry no matter how much shea butter you apply.
So why then, I here you ask, am I posting a salad recipe? Good question…
Because I miss summer!!!! I miss it so much! Bring back the warmth of the sun please!!
Ok, I’m being a bit dramatic but I know you all feel my pain! The other reason is that this week I got a surprise bag of British watercress in my veg bag, which I wasn’t expecting at this time of year. And then I was like, wooaahh, remember when it was warm and sunny and all I ate was salads. I miss those days.
So bring a little green, fresh, tangy, salady joy to these cold winter days. Then have a cup of tea to warm yourself back up : )
Celeriac and marinated beetroot salad
2 medium sized beetroot
1/2 a small celeriac
1 bunch watercress
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
For the marinade:
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
- Peel and chop the beetroot into large chunks.
- Wrap the chopped beetroot in foil, seasoned with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast at 180C for 30 minutes or until a knife easily cuts in.
- Leave the beetroot to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the marinade ingredients then add the cooled beetroot and stir well ensuring an even coating. Cover and set aside for at least half an hour or put in the fridge and leave overnight.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients then spoon over the beetroot and half of the marinade mixture. Season to taste and serve.